Search This Blog

Sunday 24 July 2011

As my mom likes to say, 'Summerdelicious!'

For those who don't know, during the summer, Toronto has an annual event called "Summerlicious" where a series of 'higher end' restaurants from many different cuisines offer a 3 course prix fixe menu for public tasting. Lunch and dinner range from $15-$45. For more info, visit: http://www.toronto.ca/special_events/summerlicious/2011/index.htm 


This restaurant is perfect for those living around the campus. ;)




 Sorry, but I forgot the name of this drink, but it's just juice.



My appetizer, watermelon carpaccio with lobster mousse, cucumber gelee, preserved olives and herb dressing. This dish is quite creative since carpaccio is traditionally made with raw beef. The taste is very refreshing, perfect way to start of a summer meal. Everything on the plate worked very well together, despite my initial impression that it has too much going on. I enjoyed how they put things I thought I'd never see together and transform it into such a coherent dish. Although I must say, I would've liked more seafood flavour from the lobster mousse. It's kinda on the bland side and in addition to the texture, it's more like margarine.



Main dish: Mushroom Ravioli in Truffle Scented Broth with Braised Leeks and Pecorino Tartuffo. Quite disappointed. The skin of the ravioli is quite hard and tastes store bought. I also think they tried too hard to emphasize the truffle scent in the broth that in the end had the opposite effect. The broth is way too bland and very much in need of salt. I really don't know what else to say; I'm just deeply saddened by the quality of this dish. 



Vichyssoise (chilled potato soup) with lobster and truffle essence. This is the appetizer my friend ordered; I only had a sip so I couldn't comment much on this. But she did say that she wished the soup was warm instead.


Dessert: Lui D'or, rind washed (firm and flavourful) Jura style cheese, awarded best Canadian cheese 2011. And of course, how can I not try this? I was more of a fresh cheese type, but I must say I was converted after this meal. Lui D'or is not as tangy as Appenzeller, but it's just right. The fruits really bring out the flavour of the cheese. I can't really describe it anymore, but you have to taste it to know. 



Blueberry Tartlet with White Chocolate Crème Diplomat, Toasted Meringue and Lime Gelee. I must say the lime gelee is quite extra. But I've only had a bite of this, so can't comment much further. 

There'll be no ratings for this post since I don't believe Summerlicious accurately displays what restaurants have to offer due to inflated numbers of customers and the need for mass production. Quality just wouldn't be the same as visiting the restaurants on a regular day. But overall, I was quite pleased with this restaurant. Oh, and supposedly this is a French restaurant, but it tastes more Italian than French (not that it's a bad thing). 

Address: 
100 Cumberland St
Toronto, ON M5R 1A6
(416) 964-2222



View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment